Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The 7 F's

 
I am convinced that once God brought revelation to the power of these 7 topics in my life, I have never been the same.  I believe that these 7 words refer to the main   struggles, obsessions and idols  we face most in our American culture.  These areas can be things we hold onto, find value from, and at times even desire much more than God.  The amazing thing about these 7 F's, however, is that while they can quickly become idols, they also have power to bring God tons of glory and draw us into closer fellowship with our Maker when we use them to worship and enjoy Him.

These are the 7F's along with some of the lies/fears we tend to believe and associate with them:
future decisions and desires

What job will I have?  What if I never "make it to the top"?  What if I don't get this position?  How many children do I want?  What if I can't have children?  What if I never get married?  What if I don't pass the test to actually be accepted for a job?

food

My value is in what I look like.  My value is in how many calories I ate or didn't eat today  I am obsessed with eating/snacking.  I can't say no.  I can't have self-control and stop myself from indulging.  I am only happy when I am eating.  I can't eat or I'll gain weight, be fat, and people won't like me as much.  I can't eat carbs or fat because then I won't be thin enough.  



fitness

If I don't workout, I won't be thin/pretty enough.  I hate what I look like when I am not thin.  Working out makes me happy.  I'm addicted to the feeling I get when I'm exercising.  I have no motivation to exercise.  I feel depressed because I can't get myself to workout.  If I miss a day, I might not look good enough.  I might gain the weight back.  What if one pound turns to 22?

having fun

If I don't go out/party, people will stop thinking I am fun/cool.  I have to be entertained or I will feel depressed.  If I don't have something fun to look forward to, I might feel lonely.  I need to be around people or I won't have purpose.  I have to be busy or I will not have value.  Do they think I'm fun?  Do I think I'm fun?  I only feel secure when I drink.  I am constantly fearful others think I'm weird.
 

friendships

If I don't please people, they will stop hanging out with me as much.  I need peoples' approval.  I am a slave to what others think of me.  I have to seek popularity, otherwise I will be lonely and not have value.  My value is directly related to how others value me.  I can't be alone or I will be sad.  If I open up and am vulnerable, people won't accept me.  If I don't give into temptation, they won't want to hang out with me anymore.  If I don't agree with everything the say, they won't want to be friends with me anymore.  Do they like me?  Will they always like me?


family

What if my beloved family member dies?  I believe I am unlovable because of how I was treated by a family member in the past.  My dad loved my siblings more than me.  I will never measure up to my parents' standards.  I need to be PERFECT for my parents to love/notice me.  I wish I could make them proud, but I'm not enough.  My family would love me more if I was prettier.  I am responsible for my family's decisions.  I have to take care of everyone.  I have no one to protect me, so I must protect myself.  
 

financial security

If I don't have a lot of money, I won't have value.  I need money to succeed in life.  If I don't give my money to others, I will have more money stored up for myself.  I am scared of being poor because it will mean I will have failed in life.  I need more money.  There is no limit, and I won't stop until my name is well known and I am rich.  I love things!  There will always be enough money.  I don't think about how much I spend.  I am constantly checking my bank account.  What if I don't make ends meet this month?  How did I end up spending so much again?  Where does all my money go?



These are most of the fears and lies I have believed under each category.  I have talked to countless people who have struggled with the same thoughts and have fought the same battle.  This battle is a battle that the enemy, Satan, tries to put up against anyone who walks on this earth.  Your battle in each of the "F's" might look a little different; however, know you are not alone.

"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." 
(1 Corinthians 10:13 NIV)

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." 
(John 10:10 NIV)

"Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession.  For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.  Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in time of need." 
(Hebrews 4:14-16 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment